Whether you experience the loss of a loved one, the ending of a relationship or are coming to terms with an illness, the grief and loss you may feel can be quite devastating, affecting you in many different ways. In most instances, especially with regards to the death of a loved one, you probably won’t ever completely get over the loss, but you can find some form of closure and move forward with your life. Here are 5 ways to help you work through your grief and loss.
- Don’t repress your feelings. Suppressing your emotions can be detrimental to you mentally and physically. Your emotions may run the gamut, and you may feel sorrow and depression one day while experiencing anger and bitterness the next, but don’t hold back how you feel. Give yourself that time to grieve. It’s an important part of the healing process.
- Talk to your loved ones. One way to express how you feel is by talking to family and friends. The support you get from your loved ones can also help you on your path to healing.
- Keep a journal. Another way to get some form of release is by keeping a journal. Writing about your pain without censorship can be quite cathartic.
- Get out and do something. Once you’ve given yourself that time to grieve, make sure you get back to some form of normalcy by getting out and engaging in activities. Reach out to your loved ones. They’d be more than willing to help you move forward with your life.
- Talk to a therapist. If you think your grief is extremely overwhelming, causing impairment in your everyday life, seek professional help. Therapy provides a safe space in which you can express all the emotions associated with your pain.
Overcoming grief and loss takes time and for each person that time is different. Expressing your feelings in healthy ways can help you on your road to healing and to finding closure. If you need help coping with grief and loss, we can help. Give us a call at (954) 832-3602. We are located in Hollywood, Florida.
Alicia Emamdee is the author of the YA Romance novel, “Aloha Self-Esteem?” which is created specifically for teen girls and the challenges they face with regards to their self-esteem in our society today. Written as a love story, the book provides ways to help increase self-esteem and gain self-confidence.